It’s a nightmare to think that many household items harm dogs. Although you may already be aware that chocolate can be poisonous for dogs, you might not be aware that other harmless items in your house, like tiny socks and toys, could be a severe health risk when swallowed by your pet.
They are more susceptible to encountering potentially harmful drugs because of their inherent curiosity and ignorance about the dangers of these substances. In comparison, animals have a greater metabolic rate and smaller lungs than humans. They require more significant effort in flushing out poisons. They not only process chemical compounds faster but also inhale them faster.
Pet House Hazards
While most pet owners take care of their pets, many health issues are caused by things humans cannot see yet can be easily avoided. The garage, home, and yard are potential hazards and poisons that could harm your pet, which will be addressed in this piece.
1. Poisonous Plants
Flowers are lovely inside and outside the house. However, you must be aware of the possible dangers. There’s a long list of harmful to dogs’ flowers. These flowers include daffodils, lilies, buttercups, wisteria, hyacinths, and Azaleas.
Even if you aren’t able to bring flowers indoors or maintain an outdoor garden doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be able to take pleasure in flowers. You can ensure your dog is secure by planting only non-toxic flowers in your garden or by ensuring that your dog is kept away from all flowers or plants that could be harmful to the dog. There are a variety of solutions, including fencing plants, putting vases in challenging-to-reach places, and removing the flowers and foliage that have been discarded.
To know more about veterinary emergencies such as poisoning, you can click this link, or you can visit the websites of the different reputable veterinary hospitals.
2. Everyday Human Foods
Most pets will wait until they are requested before they put anything into their mouths. This is terrible for dogs since they can’t digest the majority of “people’s meals” as we can. Grapes, chocolate, raisins and onions, garlic, xylitol, nuts, and other foods are just a few of the things which should not be fed to dogs.
If your dog has eaten something harmful, contact a veterinarian of an emergency pet hospital. The vet can cause vomiting to reduce toxic effects and offer supportive care at the hospital. The poisoning symptoms include vomiting, shaking, diarrhea, coughing, and breathing issues, as well as restlessness or seizures. In this case, it is imperative not to put off making an appointment with your veterinarian to get your dog the treatment it requires.
3. Pest Control Chemicals
A variety of poisons used to kill rodents, mice, and moles can be fatal for dogs. Your dog could be poisoned directly when it consumes the poison or indirectly when it eats the rodent which has been poisoned. If your pet has accidentally consumed poisonous rodents or rats, please bring the container or a small amount of the poison to your veterinarian to determine the active ingredient.
If your pet ate something dangerous, you should take them to the vet right away. You can also choose to take your pet to a clinic with a lab and pet pharmacy Visalia, since the vet may also suggest certain tests and medicines for your pet.
4. Electric Cords
Pets shouldn’t be close to electrical wires. The wiring in your home is likely hidden behind walls. Dogs and cats have an instinctual curiosity that could cause injury if they come into contact with an unprotected wire. The act of tying down cables that are hanging is the most effective way to stop this from occurring. You can also put them up in the air, away from the reach of your pets. Another option is to buy an electronic cable management system that neatly connects all your cords. You’ll be able to have a neater and more pet-friendly house when you do this.
5. Small Toys
Toys can be scattered around the home if you have small children. However, dogs can be equally attracted to small colorful toys as kids. However, toys too large to be eaten could pose a danger of choking when cats or dogs cut off a small enough chunk. Be sure to put your children’s toys away when they are not being used and keep them in a container with a seal or a similar safe place to your dog.